Student guide chapter 11: Setting the Stage
Chapter 11 explores panel composition and also includes a tutorial on designing titles.
Questions to ask yourself
- 1. What are some of the things that go into deciding how to draw a given panel? Pick a panel in your homework to focus on in order to work this out.
- 2. What kind of effect can "camera angle" have on a panel?
- 3. How do you decide which characters should be in a given panel?
- 4. What do you know about the idea of composition?
- 5. What effect can the visual design of a title have on a comic?
Supplies you will need
- office or sketchbook paper
- pencils and erasers
Optional but recommended
Nothing extra this time
This is a great opportunity to get a fresh set of eyes on your comic. Take advantage, and see if there are any lessons that come out of this that you might apply more generally. Click below to see examples of the activity by students with some comments from Matt and Jessica.
Revise your six-page story thumbs and start penciling
In addition to rechecking your revisions, make sure you use this opportunity to troubleshoot your lettering and have your colleagues spell- and grammar-check you.
There is no further reading for this chapter